As I mentioned in my Morning Skincare Update blog, I have been trying different products recently and have made some changes to my routine that I thought I would share my opinion on.
This is my current evening routine:
- Step 1 will depend on whether or not I have been wearing makeup or SPF……as most days I will be wearing at least the SPF I have started to use the Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm. I absolutely LOVE this product and it leaves my face feeling so soft and clean but also feels like I haven’t used anything harsh (which I always have done before!!). I use it on dry skin having not used any other makeup removing products. It removes mascara brilliantly….after smearing it mixed in with the oil all over my face but hey that’s half the fun! Haha! It doesn’t sting my eyes or irritate in any way. I then use a cotton cloth/muslin cloth to remove it. I cannot recommend this cleanser enough! Having read the Cheat sheet from Caroline Hirons’ Blog I now ‘Double Cleanse’ my skin in the evening if I have been wearing makeup or SPF….
This is from Caroline Hirons’ Cheat Sheet….
‘Do I need to double cleanse?’ is my most asked question about evenings.
The only time I don’t double cleanse is if I have been indoors all day and have applied neither SPF nor makeup. If you wear SPF you need to double cleanse. A lot of people who think they are allergic to SPF because it breaks them out are simply not taking the time to wash it off properly. (Please don’t take it personally if you genuinely are allergic to SPF – I’m clearly not talking to you.)
SPF is designed to stay on your face. Take the time to remove it.
Makeup is designed to stay on your face. Take the time to remove it.
2. If I haven’t worn makeup or SPF I will jump straight to this step which is Estee Lauder’s Advanced Night Micro Cleansing Foam….which I find doesn’t actually ‘foam’ as such so it works well on my skin. It does leave my skin feeling soft and clean. Using this second cleanser removes anything left by the first cleanse and preps my skin ready for serums.
3. Pixi Glow Tonic…..let’s just take a second to note….there will be a recurring theme with my night time skin care and will be repeating…..I LOVE this! I have already written a blog about this toner so please check it out here!
4. I have added a product in here now that I know this is the step to use it at! Rodial Dragon’s Blood Hyaluronic mist….I LOVE this! #MAKEUPMUSTHAVESCHALLENGE DAY 13 – Skincare! is a blog a wrote with more information on this product but when I spray this over the top of the cleanser and exfoliating toner my skin feels amazing. Even without any further products on top, at this stage, my skin feels so soft to touch. This is staying in my routine!
5. Advanced Night Repair Serum…This serum claims to fight signs of ageing, dryness, dehydration, lines and wrinkles, dullness and loss of radiance. It is also oil free which is great for me. This is the second version of this serum and I’m pleased that they reviewed it as I was put off by how tacky the original one left the skin after application. The new version does not have that feel to it and feels very light by comparison. It leaves my skin feeling very soft. You don’t need to apply a lot of this product, a little really does go a long way! This is an expensive serum but the bottle lasts so long!
6. Advanced Night Repair Eye….This gel-creme is said to fight signs of ageing, fine lines, wrinkles, puffins, dark circles, dryness and uneven skin tone. I have dry skin under my eyes and this product is great for that. As with the serum, you only need a very small amount of this.
7. I’ve never been strict about using a night time moisturiser and can take them or leave them….that was until I received the Formula Absolute Sleep Cream in my M&S Beauty advent calendar…I am almost out of this product as I have used it most nights and I love it. I will be re-purchasing this! Have a read of 25 DAYS OF BLOGGING – COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS, DAY 20 for my initial thoughts but I would recommend this product.
So that is my current routine at night – which to be honest, as with my day time routine, may well change…and so it should. Skin changes all of the time with many factors to consider. Time of year and seasonal changes, food and diet changes (I know if I hit the crisps I will pay for it via my skin!), hormonal fluctuations..as I’ve mentioned previously, I suffer with PCOS so acne on my chin can suddenly be awful…other times not so much and so on. Also, regardless of blogs and expert opinions, that’s exactly what they are….opinions….do what works for you!
As I said in my previous skin care post….something to note about all of this is that one of the best things you can do for your skin (and body) in general is to drink plenty of water! Dehydrated skin is different to dry skin….it needs more water!
I have just ordered some serums from The Ordinary….watch this space for further reviews!
Thanks for reading! Let me know what you think in the comments box below or on my facebook page. Follow me on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook…links below xx